All NCERT text books!

I recently came to know that NCERT was providing all the text books (class 1 – 12) for download. However, I found their interface hard to use for browsing through. So I wrote a crawler in python to get all the books to my webserver.

Along with storing the books, I generated thumbnails for every chapter. Navigation pages have also been generated to help browse through the books easily. You can access this dump here.

The crawler code is here.

These are the steps to run it yourself.

# scrape ncert site to get details about book pdf urls
python get_ncert_books_data.py > ncert_books_data

# create a directory to store all downloaded files
mkdir ncert_books

# download all the pdfs and cover page images
cat ncert_books_data | python download_ncert_books.py ncert_books

# generate thumbnails for each pdf (requires ImageMagick)
find ncert_books/ -iname "*.pdf" > all_pdf_files
sed -i "s/^/0\t/" all_pdf_files
python generate_thumbnails.py

# resize the book cover images
python resize_image_thumbnails.py ncert_books

# generate the navigation pages
python generate_navigation_pages.py ncert_books

For the thumbnail generation to work, you will need ImageMagick. Read this for more information.

1 Trackbacks

1. [...] to reach the front page, vote other submissions first. …better software, help the community develop better software. Send your feedback, the bugs you find,your [...]

1. Athira

I am not able to see the science text book for VI standard. Only index is available. Please help

Athira

Posted June 5, 2008 at 11:18 am | Permalink
  2. shanthi

Pls help me to get NCERT Social science text book for 8th std.

Posted June 9, 2008 at 10:52 am | Permalink
  3. Suni

Only Index is available for Class 3 – Environment Studies – Looking around.
    Please help

Posted June 11, 2008 at 1:37 am | Permalink
  4. SANJAI NANDAKUMAR

This is the most useful site I have seen in recent times. Kudos for the effort in publishing NCERT textbooks. please maintain this site like this so that more and more people are benefitted. Thank you for such a wonderful effort.

Sanjai

Posted June 12, 2008 at 3:13 pm | Permalink
  5. Murruli M N

Dear prashanth

I am looking for NCERT old textbooks like Bal Bharti Part-III, IV and V because in my sons school they are still using Bal Bharti series instead of RimJim series. Can you help me in finding these book in pdf format for download. It will be a great help for me.

Thanks
    Murruli
    Mysore

Posted June 19, 2008 at 1:49 pm | Permalink
  6. govind

Dear Prshanth
    This is a very good effort for NCERT books. However I did not find some of the books online such as “Hindi Vykaran aur Rachana” for Class VI-VIII. This is to be available with NCERT. This book is not available in Mumbai in the market. Its strange that though this book is not available anywhere or short in print, it is recomanded for last few years for CBSE course. Is anybody that how to get it.

Posted June 23, 2008 at 3:06 pm | Permalink
  7. jay

i need giudes for NCERT text books for class -VII, can you help

Posted June 26, 2008 at 8:35 am | Permalink
  8. Himanshu

I am getting the same error as slawek

I got such error when trying to launch the first python script… I need to take a look and see what’s going on

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “get_ncert_books_data.py”, line 97, in
    main()
    File “get_ncert_books_data.py”, line 63, in main
    book_links = get_book_urls(listing_page_html)
    File “get_ncert_books_data.py”, line 19, in get_book_urls
    script_data = script_data[0]
    IndexError: list index out of range

Thanks,
    Slawek

Posted June 27, 2008 at 11:10 pm | Permalink
  9. Ila

Thank you so much! I am Indian-born but raised in the US and now I’m learning Hindi… the books for little kids are perfect for a beginner like me. I appreciate it so much!

Ila :)
    (in Colorado, USA)

Posted June 29, 2008 at 11:56 pm | Permalink
  10. NITIN

NCERT SITE IS A VERY GOOD SITE [.] I AM NOT ABLE TO GET 6TH STD MATHS BOOK WITH SOLUTIONS {Q & A} , CAN YOU KINDLY SEND TO ME.

Posted July 2, 2008 at 4:28 pm | Permalink
  11. navtej

how can i download chapters plz help me

Posted July 4, 2008 at 11:14 pm | Permalink
  12. Jennefer

Oh thank God! I found it all here. Thank you very much. You don’t know how happy i am. I just wanna give you an award.

Posted July 5, 2008 at 8:36 am | Permalink