I love Gnome and its simplicity and use it regularly. I loathe KDE and its complexity. Although I used KDE about 5 years back, ever since Ubuntu was released, I’ve been using Gnome. However, when KDE4 was announced, I decided to check it out with an open-mind and re-evaluate.
Click to see gallery
- Visually looks a little better than KDE3
- KDE4 is still quite rough.
- The UI needs more polish.
- Usability has increased and still needs work.
- Complexity has reduced but more work required.
- The widgets in Oxygen theme are more bearable.
One corner of the screen is reserved for adding widgets, really required?
I like the menu because I can search but consider the menu less functional than the one before. I do not use the search much because I use the “Run” command (Alt + F2) instead. I tend to loose orientation while navigating applications in the new menu,
Black is good. The time display looks great. The gradient requires work as it does throughout the theme. The white border on the upper half of windows is annoying.
Overall, this feels unfinished but is a step in the right direction. It won’t be replacing Gnome for me yet. Will have to wait for 4.1 too see if it can.